Sunday, August 19, 2007

Will This All Fit?

I like to excel. Unfortunately there are a great many things that I am not good at. I have come to grips with most of my unskilled qualities; however, one skill which I have yet to develop never ceases to perturb my perfectionist, okay, sometimes OCD personality—packing.

As much as I wish I could be the savvy traveler who packs one carry-on for a jaunt around the world and 1. looks irritatingly chic donning the pittance of clothing that fits in such a small container and 2. doesn’t forget anything, I fail miserably at the task. I am making progress though. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery (or packing prowess in my case), right?. However, with my track record, I knew I needed to start planning early for my semester abroad. Here are some things I have learned over the years (not many unfortunately), gleaned from others, and discovered on the Internet.

First things first
· Make a list—it helps you visualize everything you need so you don’t forget something or over pack.

Luggage
· Backpacks make for easy, hands free traveling and when properly fitted can be quite comfortable.


§ Jansport makes several large models with detachable daypacks for shorter excursions.

· Take only what you’ll be able to carry. You’ll have to manage all your luggage in airports, railways, and busy streets. Can you lift it over your head?

§ Consider how much space you’ll have at your lodging and if your luggage can stay there when you travel.

A friend of mine spent a month in Italy after he graduated from high school. He is now in Spain on a similar trip. Here is what he has to say about packing:

"The biggest thing by far, however, is to pack as light as possible! I learned that the hard way. I did SO much walking, and I could've done without half the stuff I brought easily. It is very impractical to lug around so much weight and bulkiness...not to mention hard on your back. So this time I am going to lay out everything I think I will need, and then remove half of it...no matter how modest it may seem. You can acquire things like toiletries, or whatever over there. plus I want to have more room to take stuff home with me this time. I felt less efficient, and definitely less mobile, then I could've been had I been more frugal with my packing."

Check out 99 cent stores for inexpensive luggage. Floor models and customer returns are sold at deeply discounted prices. I just bought a lightweight, mid-size suitcase with no defects for $24.99.

Always double check your airlines weight and size restrictions before you start packing!

No comments: