Friday, August 17, 2007

Snapshot 4: Scholastically Speaking

The most frequently asked question I get from people has changed over the past two years. Instead of how tall are you? or do you play basketball? the question is: Why are you going to school in Missouri? People from both CA and MO don't understand why I would forsake one seemingly glorious place for another, more modest area. Well, let me enlighten you.

Missouri itself wasn't what prompted me to leave Pacific Ocean and In-N-Out behind. Two factors added together made MO appear after the equal sign in my life after high school equation: family and William Jewell College. I knew for awhile I wanted to go to a private Christian college, the complete opposite of my education thus far. A CA school like my mom's alma mater, Point Loma Nazarene, or Westmont were options - close enough for a weekend at home once in awhile. But none of the CA options jumped out as I prayed for God's guidance.

Since CA wasn't working out, I took another tactic. My mom's younger brother and his family lived in MO, they happened to be like second parents to me, and William Jewell College (which fit the small, private, Christian college bill) was a 40 min drive from their condo. Over the last two years, I've often wondered if I heard God correctly when He lead me to Jewell. I did.

I'm majoring in English with a writing emphasis because Jewell doesn't offer coursework in organization (an odd passion of mine). I love to write about people, places, and things, especially food. Given free reign (like in this blog), I have a hard time being concise.

In Oxford, I'll be studying two influential British authors: C.S. Lewis and Jane Austen.

No comments: