Wednesday, August 22, 2007

International Student ID Card

I wasn't going to get an International Student Exchange card (I can't remember the reason now, profound though I'm sure it was), but on the recommendation of a few study abroad veterans I made the purchase. Unlike the passport application process, obtaining an ISE card was incredibly hassle free. In my ignorance, I had settled on buying my card at Distant Lands, a fantastic travel bookstore and outfitters in Pasadena, CA.

In searching ISE's website, I discovered a glorious and time saving thing: You can buy an ISE card online! Free shipping. Free 1st class mail. It took me less than five minutes to order (Monday) and I received it today in the mail (Wednesday). Be prepared to fax proof that you are a student. I scanned my student ID card and emailed it to ISE.

Why should you spend $25 on ID when you already have a passport?

Here is what Angie Huddleston, former student of
New College, Oxford had to say:

  • Most people don't carry their passport around in Oxford, so and ISE card provides proof that you are a student.
  • With proof that you are a student and not just a tourist, you can get the "student rate."
  • And discounts on touristy attractions as well as bus fare, air fare, mobile phones, and calling cards.
  • A student ID will give you access to many of the University only facilities like libraries and grounds.

No comments: